[Privoxy-users] Switch forward rules on-the-fly?

Az azimuth99 at danwin1210.me
Sun Oct 7 09:36:20 UTC 2018

On Sunday 7 October 2018 08:49,
Az <azimuth99 at danwin1210.me> put forth the proposition:
> On Sunday 7 October 2018 07:59,
> Az <azimuth99 at danwin1210.me> put forth the proposition:
> > On Sunday 7 October 2018 06:25,
> > Az <azimuth99 at danwin1210.me> put forth the proposition:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I use a text browser with Tor quite a lot and often come up against
> > > captchas. When this happens I usually go through a different proxy,
> > > but then I lose the privoxy protection. It's either that or boot X11
> > > and a GUI browser, find the site again and complete the captcha.
> > >
> > > Is there a way of switching from one proxy to another somehow via my
> > > browser that doesn't involve turning off privoxy or adding a rule for
> > > each site that this happens with? With my regular sites I do add
> > > rules to go direct or via a plain http proxy, but I don't want to do
> > > it for every random site that uses cloudflare etc., which seem to be
> > > on the increase now.
> > >
> > > I'm kind of thinking something I could add to the URL to let privoxy
> > > know that I need to use a different forward rule. I looked at tags,
> > > but I'm not sure I really understand if they could work for what I
> > > want.
> >
> > Well I almost had something working. I added /1234567890 on to the
> > end of a URL and set up a simple redirect like s@/1234567890$@@. It
> > worked OK for http, but of course not for https.
> >
> > Then I tried adding a subdomain 'forward-socks5.' to the start, but
> > it fails with this error:
> >
> > Error: pcrs command "s at forward-socks5.@@" changed
> > "forward-socks5.duckduckgo.com:443" to "duckduckgo.com:443" (1 hit), but the
> > result doesn't look like a valid URL and will be ignored.
> >
> > Why is this URL seen as an error?
> >
> > The actual URL I entered in the browser was
> >
> > https://forward-socks5.duckduckgo.com/lite/
>
> Sorry to keep answering my own questions :)
>
> I found add the https:// seems to work so far.

OK. Redirect obviously isn't going to work, because the browser will
get passed to Tor again after the redirect. What I need is to
*rewrite* the URL without the browser knowing.

So far the only thing I can see that may work is to add a TAG: on the
user agent, and have a script to change the user agent in my browser.
The problem is making sure that it gets changed back, or that the
rule has a timer. Adding weird user agents isn't a great idea though.

Dunno. Maybe there's a better way.

--
Az