[Privoxy-users] How to properly redirect http to https?

Fabian Keil fk at fabiankeil.de
Mon Mar 26 10:18:10 UTC 2018

mingheng wang <ifoolb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,I wish to use my server as both a normal web server and a proxy server, so I configure privoxy to listen on both 80 and 443, squid on 127.0.01:3128, apache on 127.0.0.1:8080 and 127.0.0.1:8443 respectively. I let apache to handle requests to my own domain and squid for the rest by using privoxy's forward directives, and I also want to redirect all http to https, using this simple rule in user.action:
> {+redirect{s@^http://@https://@}} .example.com:80
> However I always get infinite redirects in the web browser. By setting debug level to 128, I see repeated lines like this:
> Redirect: pcrs command "s@^http://@https://@" changed "http://example.com/" to "https://example.com/" (1 hit).
> I don't understand why this doesn't work. Can someone tell me the right way to do this? Thanks.

Please provide a log excerpt with the debug settings documented at:
https://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/contact.html

I don't completely understand your setup but having Privoxy listening
on 443 seems like a strange decision as this port is mainly used
for encrypted requests while Privoxy expects unencrypted requests.

Fabian