[Privoxy-users] Max-client-connections fatal error

Fabian Keil fk at fabiankeil.de
Fri Nov 30 11:37:27 UTC 2018

pr_invoice at scryptmail.com wrote:

> I installed privoxy 3.0.26 from source(downloaded from SourceFourge) on
> remote server under Ubuntu 16.04. I built it with --with-fdsetsize=64000
> key.max-client-connections is set to 5000When I run in terminalprivoxy
> config (im currently in /usr/local/etc/privoxy), it fails with the
> message:2018-09-27 03:34:23.806 7f9774965700 Fatal error:
> max-client-connections value 5000 is invalid. Value needs to be above 1
> and below 512 (FD_SETSIZE/2)I found no information in user manual about
> what systems support FD_SETSIZE above 1024.Please help me figure out how
> to make Privoxy to keep more than 512 open connections. What OS should I
> use? PS.I tried to increase maximum number of open files following steps
> from this manual
> https://underyx.me/2015/05/18/raising-the-maximum-number-of-file-descriptorsulimit
> -n displays 64000 but it actually has no effect

If you rebuild Privoxy from git it will use poll() instead of select()
so the FD_SETSIZE limitation isn't relevant for recent Linux systems
anymore.

If you want to stick to Privoxy 3.0.26 you can use a FreeBSD-based
system instead. Other systems that don't use the GNU libc may work
as well but I haven't tested them.

Fabian