[Privoxy-users] privoxy and tor

Fabian Keil fk at fabiankeil.de
Sat Dec 9 14:10:19 UTC 2017

Lee <ler762 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/20/17, fromwild at mail2tor <fromwild at mail2tor> wrote:
> >
> > for win users. what to do if tor is working, privoxy is working but the
> > config file of privoxy is access denied?
>
> Use the windows equivalent of sudo:
> runas /user:administrator "notepad \privoxy\config.txt"
>
> or fix the permissions:
> C:\Privoxy>icacls config.txt
> config.txt BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(F)
>            NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(F)
>            BUILTIN\Users:(I)(RX)
>            NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(I)(M)
>
> Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
>
> C:\Privoxy>icacls config.txt /grant Lee:F
> processed file: config.txt
> Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
>
> C:\Privoxy>icacls config.txt
> config.txt I3668\Lee:(F)
>            BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(F)
>            NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(F)
>            BUILTIN\Users:(I)(RX)
>            NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(I)(M)
>
> Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
>
> C:\Privoxy>
>
> or try to point-n-click your way through adjusting the file
> permissions in windows explorer.

Good to know.

While I (believe) that I understand the steps described,
I'd be too lazy to figure them out myself and don't
have access to a recent Windows system for testing anyway.

If the steps are expected to work on most Windows versions
supported by Privoxy it would probably make sense to add
them to the Windows section of the documentation or to the
FAQ.

Unfortunately I'm still distracted by other stuff and couldn't
get the git migration done yet, so improving the documentation
is blocked by me as well ...

Fabian