[Privoxy-users] Apps traffic bypassing Privoxy.

Fabian Keil fk at fabiankeil.de
Tue Sep 27 13:27:50 UTC 2016

Atar <atar.yosef at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've installed Privoxy on my PC (Microsoft Windows 7) and configured the
> proxy settings inside Internet Explorer settings to pass all the network
> traffic of all possible protocols through Privoxy.
>
> I then configured Privoxy to the most verbose debugging option (I set the
> "debug" directive to the value 16) and then watched the output of the log
> file.
>
> Suprisingly, the traffic of two apps on my PC wasn't captured by Privoxy,
> the two apps are TeamViewer and a special app which is used to connect my
> PC to a local telephone network.
>
> My question is why the traffic of those two apps hasn't been captured by
> Privoxy?

Privoxy does not process traffic unless it is send to Privoxy.

While Privoxy can process intercepted HTTP connections,
they are not intercepted by Privoxy itself but by the operating
system Privoxy runs on (or some other software):
https://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/config.html#ACCEPT-INTERCEPTED-REQUESTS

On Windows, applications are free to ignore the IE proxy settings
and it sounds like some of your applications do this.

It's possible that those applications have their own proxy settings
or that they simply don't support HTTP proxies.

Fabian