[Privoxy-users] What is the point of "forward-socks5t"?

Fabian Keil fk at fabiankeil.de
Mon Jul 11 17:06:12 UTC 2016

Unknown <arkmail0 at riseup.net> wrote:

> I'm using Privoxy for many years, I simply forgot to report this.
> If I use "forward-socks5t"(yes, 5t) to conbine Privoxy and Tor,
> sometimes the request doesn't work properly.

Which Privoxy version do you use? From the 3.0.24 stable ChangeLog:

| - Bug fixes:
|  - When using socks5t, send the request body optimistically as well.
|    Previously the request body wasn't guaranteed to be sent at all
|    and the error message incorrectly blamed the server.
|    Fixes #1686 reported by Peter Müller and G4JC.

If you are already using 3.0.24 or later, please be more specific
about the failure.

> Changing this to "forward-socks5" doesn't cause any connection problem.

It may work around the problem, but it also increases the latency.

> I think current "forward-socks5t" is just making user confuse.

The difference between forward-socks5 and forward-socks5t is documented:

| With forward-socks5 the DNS resolution will happen on the remote
| server as well.
|
| forward-socks5t works like vanilla forward-socks5 but lets Privoxy
| additionally use Tor-specific SOCKS extensions. Currently the only
| supported SOCKS extension is optimistic data which can reduce the
| latency for the first request made on a newly created connection.
https://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/config.html#SOCKS

Fabian